Urban Refugees is a Non Governmental Organization dedicated to promoting the rights of urban refugees and Internally Displaced People (IDPs) worldwide. Through documentation, networking and advocacy activities our organization aims at improving the plight of urban refugees and IDPs worldwide.
Urban refugees and IDPs are persons who, for fear of persecution, had to flee from the place where they used to reside and found refuge in an urban area, be it in another country (refugees) or in their own country (IDPs).
Although half of the refugee and IDP population worldwide is now living in urban areas, these particularly vulnerable populations have attracted a level of attention that has clearly not matched their number. The international community’s engagement has focused on the management of camps and settlements in rural areas, giving little attention to the plight of urban refugees and IDPs. Even though in recent years the issue of urban refugees and IDPs has been increasingly considered by both humanitarian actors and academics, the attention given to the subject remains too scarce.
This website was conceived as an online platform on which you will find:
- Relevant and up to date documents (reports, articles, thesis) on urban refugees and IDPs (See Resources),
- Information about the situation of urban refugees and IDPs worldwide and the challenges they face (see Learn About)
- The very latest news on urban displacements worldwide (see News)
- Case studies highlighting specific country situations where urban refugees and IDPs are to be found (See Country Monitoring)
- Contacts of other NGOs working with urban refugees and IDPs (See The Network)
- Contacts of academics specialized on urban displacements worldwide (See The Network)
- Innovating ideas and good practices from all around the world and dedicated to NGOs, academics and UNHCR (See Idea Box)